To make Millet dosa –
- 2 cups millet (Nachni or Jowar grains)
- ½ cup urad dal
- 1 tsp methi seeds
- A handful of poha
- Rock salt
- Soak millets with 1tsp methi seeds in a bowl.
- Soak urad dal and poha in another bowl.
- After soaking for 6-7 hours, grind all ingredients together to a fine paste.
- Add salt and mix the batter with hands.
- Mixing batter with hands aids the fermentation process.
- Cover and allow to ferment for 8 hours.
- You can immediately make a dosa by ladling a spoonful on a hot tava. Serve hot with chutney.
You can replace wholegrain millet with flour.
The fermentation time may vary depending on the climate. The batter should double in quantity after fermentation. Moderate to hot climate aids perfect fermentation. If the batter is allowed to ferment for too long, the batter could turn sour. In cold temperatures, placing the batter in a minimally heated oven with the light on or wrapping the vessel with some cloth will help to keep the temperature suitable for fermentation.